Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2012

Ceramic Aquarium Decorations, Senior Crit

Front side of large piece.

Back side, multiple caves and hiding places.

Small piece, has 3 holes, bottomless.

Hey Everyone,

I have pictures today! Wooh!

Senior Crits:
So, the senior crit today went really, really well. Our guest critiquer was Glenn Rand and he did a really wonderful job. It's probably the best critique I have ever had and it really helped me out with some of the issues with my pottery. I had a great time and I look forward to starting to work towards my next show!

Ceramic Aquarium Decorations:
They are under way! I have created two so far and I'm very happy with them! I have made a small one that is just meant to be a hiding spot for smaller or less active fish. The other is a large piece, probably 10 inches by 4 or 5 inches and probably 3 inches tall in the tallest place. I made the larger piece with multiple little caves, overhangs, and a tree trunk (with roots!) that a plant can be put into even if it's potted and the roots will hang out underneath with lots of circulation around them. I made the surfaces on the pieces pretty rough (as opposed to skin smooth) so that they can trap bacteria and aid in the healthy-ness of the tank and the water. They will be lightly glazed so that they can withstand water for a long-long time without breaking down, similar to china that they are still pulling up from the titanic that is in pristine condition. I'm looking forward to finishing them and seeing what they look like in my tank and then I'll make more to sell on Etsy!

Aquarium update:
So, got the fish some live plants today since it could take up to a month for the bulbs to germinate. I got some pretty hardy plants (can't remember their name!) and some moss. I also got a piece of driftwood that I attached the moss to, once it attaches it should keep growing and cover the driftwood. I'm hoping to have the aquarium pretty well planted and established by june or july. I also ordered an aquarium heater that I'm going to use to breed the betta's first, then I'll install it in the big tank and keep the fishes warm, it's getting a bit too cold in this apartment for them.
P.S. Amazon sells fish supplies for up to half price of where I can buy them in pet stores and general stores, awesome!

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment